Italy veteran Alessandro Troncon has admitted the Azzurri cannot afford to let Wales starlet Gavin Henson run the show when the sides meet in the RBS 6 Nations on Saturday.
Henson was man of the match in Wales' 11-9 win over England last weekend, kicking a superb late penalty from the most acute angle to seal Wales' first Cardiff win over England for 12 years.
But Troncon, who will earn his 87th cap on Saturday, is determined to use all his experience to stop the promising centre in his tracks and aims to make sure his team-mates do the same.
He said: "Gavin was superb against England but I hope he doesn't play so well on Saturday - we'll try to ensure he doesn't.
"He's a very exciting player and in his current form he is one of the most dangerous backs in the world."
Italy's confidence levels have been given a massive lift after the 28-17 defeat by Ireland in a performance which has made the rest of the Six Nations sit up and take notice.
The Azzurri have been the whipping boys since their entrance into the championship in 2000 but last year they avoided the wooden and spoon and there is a tangible feeling within the camp that further improvement is possible.
Victory over Wales - who were embarrassed 30-22 on their last trip to Rome two years ago - would be a big step in the right direction and Troncon insists Mike Ruddock's men are there for the taking.
He said: "We played very well against Ireland but we lost. Obviously our objective is to win matches so good performances are not enough by themselves.
"Wales are going through a strong period. They showed last Saturday they can beat the world champions. But we believe in ourselves and our potential. If we play an outstanding match we can beat them."
Italy should hold an advantage up-front and Troncon admits the forward battle will be key.
"In terms of potential this Italy pack is very good. If we have the right mentality I think we can be very dangerous," he said.
"It will be hard to recharge ourselves mentally after such a hard match against Ireland but if we do I think our forwards will do very well against the Welsh."
After losing their Under-20s Six Nations crown to England Under-20s in a thrilling final round, France Under-20s lock Tristan Labouteley insists his side will be out for revenge at this year's Junior World Championship.