Bernard Laporte savoured a 37-12 RBS 6 Nations Championship victory over Italy but admitted that France had badly needed a confidence boost after what had been an unimpressive campaign so far.
Laporte revealed his side's confidence had been badly dented by the chorus of boos that greeted their last appearance at the Stade de France.
However, he was much happier with the support received on Saturday and believes it helped repair the broken morale of his men.
Laporte said: ''In the first half we were fragile and we had our problems.
''In the second our persistence eventually helped us score the tries we wanted to score.''
For a long time it appeared as though French rugby might sink to a new low with Italy leading 12-8 at the interval and on course for what would have been a first ever RBS 6 Nations win away from Rome for the Azzurri since joining the tournament back in 2000.
However, in the second half France finally clicked and in truth the final score of five tries to none showed the victory was thoroughly deserved against opponents who relied exclusively on the left boot of Ramiro Pez for their points and never really looked like crossing the French line.
France relied on forwards Thomas Lievremont in the first half and Yannick Nyanga and Pieter De Villiers in the second to get them in control before Aurelien Rougerie and then Frederic Michalak added a gloss with tries that were more reminiscent of the classic French flair-based game.
However, the coach was offering only thanks on Saturday to the Stade de France faithful.
He added: ''I want to say well done to the public for singing the Marseillaise so well and also for getting behind the team.
''I did not underestimate the impact the crowd's behaviour (against Ireland) had on the players and that's why I was angry.''
Michalak, who had not had a particularly good game before waltzing over for the fifth try, was particularly targeted although his late score ensured he left on better terms on Saturday.
''I have had to discuss things with Frederic but in fact the crowd really helped us,'' said Laporte.
Skipper Fabien Pelous believes the performance against the Azzurri was a big step forward for France.
The lock said: ''I told the team before the match that we would have to play for all of the 80 minutes.
''Organisation and commitment were our priorities and that's what you could see on the pitch.''
Italy coach Pierre Berbizier felt there were positives to be drawn from the match, but admitted his side fell apart in the closing stages.
"We occupied the field well in the first half but in the second half we could not keep it up," he said.
"We made it too easy for France by making too many simple mistakes and they were able to capitalise on our errors and we were logically punished for them. We were unable to control the ball enough.
"We organised a good defence and we were in control for long periods of the first half.
"We were playing at high intensity and we must learn to keep our intensity levels high.
"We simply gave up mentally (after Pieter De Villiers scored the third try). I don't think it was a physical problem but more of a mental one.
"The De Villiers try was the breaking point and we were all over the place at the end of the second half."
After losing their Under-20s Six Nations crown to England Under-20s in a thrilling final round, France Under-20s lock Tristan Labouteley insists his side will be out for revenge at this year's Junior World Championship.