The Rugby Football Union has confirmed it will submit a bid to host the World Cup in 2015.
Details of the bid will be made public after it is presented to the International Rugby Board Council in Dublin next Wednesday.
The RFU's five-strong Dublin delegation will include 2003 World Cup winners Lawrence Dallaglio and Will Greenwood, plus Andy Burnham, the Secretary of State for Culture Media and Sport.
England hosted the 1991 World Cup along with Ireland, Scotland, Wales and France.
RFU chief executive Francis Baron said: “We believe it is time that we brought the tournament back to England, and are confident we would be able to provide the best platform to profile the sport on the world stage and enable us to make a lasting commitment to grassroots rugby.
Only last week, Baron spoke of the “big, big commitment” to bid for rugby union's eighth global spectacular, underlined by the £80million guarantee demanded by the IRB.
The Government and the RFU have agreed a support package though, and Burnham said: “England 2015 would be a superb addition to a great decade of sport in Britain.
“The RFU has pulled together an outstanding bid that will take the game to new audiences.
“It has the government's full support and we will now work with them to make the case for it.”
The bid will include games being staged at stadia in England and Wales.